Mr. Guto is a Partner and the Head of Litigation and Dispute resolution Department in the firm. He holds a Bachelor of Laws degree from the University of Manchester and a postgraduate diploma from the Kenya School of Law.
He joined the firm in 2005 as a legal assistant and has worked in the firm’s Litigation and Arbitration department as well as the Consultancy Department. His practice areas include dispute resolution primarily in commercial litigation and arbitration, banking and finance, judicial review, employment law and professional negligence. He is a member of the panel of pro bono lawyers of The Cradle Foundation and serves as a member of the Law Society of Kenya’s Litigation and Court Users Committee. He is also a member of the Advertising Standards Committee of the Advertising Standards Body of Kenya.
Other than the litigation work, he has also been involved in various consultancy projects including drafting of the Media Bill, Tourism Bill and Communication Commission of Kenya Regulations. He is the co-author of the Kenyan Chapter of the 2013 edition of The International Comparative Legal Guide to Public Procurement. He is also featured in the Chambers Global 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 editions.
• Law Society of Kenya
• Advertising Standards Committee of the Advertising Standards Body of Kenya.
• The Cradle Foundation
• Admitted as an advocate of the High Court of Kenya
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
• Dispute resolution primarily in commercial litigation and arbitration
• Banking and finance
• Judicial review
• Employment law and professional negligence
AWARDS AND ACCOLADES
• Mr. Guto has been ranked in Band 4 in Dispute Resolution in Kenya by Chambers and Partners (2018) which further recognizes him for “undertaking a diverse range of litigation and arbitration, notable for major employers and banks and having additional experience in judicial review work.” – Chambers and Partners (2018).
SUMMARY OF TOP MATTERS HANDLED
• Successfully handled a petroleum dispute in a claim worth over US$ 5million
• Successfully defended an employment claim worth Kshs 300 million against Barclays Bank of Kenya.
• Represented Telkom Kenya Limited in attempted winding up proceedings over a debt Kshs 2.9 billion
• Resisted a multi – billion judicial review application on behalf of a telecommunications company
• Represented Nation Media Group in a number of libel suits arising from its print and broadcast media.
• Involved in various consultancy projects including drafting of the Media Bill, the Tourism Bill and Communications commission of Kenya regulations.