Muigai Githu is an Associate at Mohammed Muigai. His practice focuses on Corporate Commercial law and intellectual property law. Muigai has experience with start-up company projects, including incorporation and registrations with regulatory bodies, and legal due diligence as part of corporate restructuring matters and investment projects including share purchases and share swaps.
Muigai is an alumnus of the University of Kent (LLB, LLM) and has a post-graduate diploma from the Kenya School of Law. He previously worked at Hamilton Harrison & Mathews Advocates before joining the Mohammed Muigai team.
Law Society of Kenya
Admitted as an advocate of the High Court of Kenya (2014)
Registered as a Patent Agent with the Kenya Institute of Intellectual Property
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
• Business Set-Up, Legal and Regulatory Advice
• Corporate restructuring
• M&A and Joint Ventures;
• Intellectual Property
• Securities and Project Financing
SUMMARY OF TOP MATTERS HANDLED
• Assisted in the simultaneous cross listing in the security exchanges in Uganda, Rwanda and Tanzania; and the Rights issue carried out in Kenya of a Public Listed Company.
• Advised on the Incorporation of a Deposit Taking Microfinance Bank and registration with the Central Bank of Kenya.
• Assisted in advising a multinational company on their distribution agreements with their Kenyan distributors and the relevant competition law.
• Advised on the acquisition of a 25% shareholding of a local manufacturing company and its various subsidiaries. This entailed carrying out a comprehensive legal due diligence and thereafter reviewing the necessary subscription and shareholder agreements.
• Assisted in the conversion of a company from a Public Limited Company to Private Limited Company following a successful Take-Over transaction.
• Undertook the Conversion of a Private Limited Company to a Limited Liability Partnership and advised on the tax benefits of making the transition.
• Conducted a legal audit of a Motor Sport Federation, advised on the restructuring and consequent registration under the Sports Act 2013.
• Advised on the simultaneous partial assignment of two trade marks in different classes. This involved advising on the reclassification and addition of goods to be undertaken prior to effecting the assignment.
• Assisted in the preparation and review of a Settlement Agreement in relation to the opposition of a proposed trade mark registration.
• Lead a Due Diligence exercise on two Insurance companies as part of a proposed acquisition transaction, setting out the regulatory requirements and approvals to be obtained from the governing Authorities.
• Advised on the requirements of an International NGO to carry out operations in neighbouring countries while being situated in Kenya.